A fullscreen squarewave grating, which moves left- or rightwards. You can configure the speed and spatial frequency. The lateral borders have a contrast taper to reduce luminance artifacts for low spatial frequencies.
- For artifact-free motion a fast computer with a screen not larger than necessary is advisable.
- At high speeds or high spatial frequencies beware of aliasing, depending on your frame rate. Don’t hesitate to contact me for any questions.
This stimulus was developed in co-operation with Hadas Kalish to assess acuity in fish populations. First developed for the following publication:
- Stiebel-Kalish H, Reich E, Rainy N, Gothilf Y, Bach M (2012) Gucy2f zebrafish knockdown – a model for GUCY2D-related Leber congenital amaurosis. Eur J Hum Genetics 20:884–889. Later used in:
- Fries R, Scholten A, Säftel W, Koch K-W (2013) Zebrafish Guanylate Cyclase Type 3 Signaling in Cone Photoreceptors. PLoS ONE 8:e69656
- Rainy N, Alon A, Pomeranz A, Nisgav Y, Livnat T, Bach M, Gerstner C, Baehr W, Gothilf Y, Stiebel-Kalish H (2016) Knockdown of unc119c results in visual impairment and early-onset retinal dystrophy in zebrafish. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 473(4):1211–1217
- Mac OS X application: MovingGrating1.3.app.zip • MovingGrating 1.2.app.zip
If you receive a message “… from an unknown developer…”, that happens because I did not “sign” the application, which only developers with a paid plan can do. Since this application is free, I cannot afford to pay developers’ fees.
After un-zipping, simply right-click “MovingGrating 1.3.app”, select “open”, and confirm. From then on the application opens without warning.
- Windows application: MovingGrating1.3.exe.zip • MovingGrating 1.2.exe.zip
If you receive a message “… unverified developer … ” or similar, the reason is the same as in the above description. Bypass the warning, and deselect the appropriate tick box to avoid that warning from then on.
|2016-06-11|| ||Updated publications list|
|2015-05-11||1.3||Added the comment, explaining the warning message on recent operating systems.|
Enlarged buttons to avoid clipping, minor code efficiency improvement
|2009-12-08||1.2||Improved GUI. This was used in Stiebel-Kalish et al. 2012.|
|2009-08-06||1.1||new algorithm for motion update, now no longer depends on frame rate|
|2009-07-14||1.0||changed label to "log2(…"|